Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Apollo Municipal Theatre in Ermoupolis, Siros

The Apollo Municipal Theatre of Siros is located in Ermoupolis, the capital of the Cyclades (a collection of islands in the middle of the Aegean). The Apollo Theatre was built in 1864 by the French architect Chabeau. It is placed on Miaouli square, in the centre of Ermoupolis, and constitutes a miniature replica of La Scala di Milan. It is an important landmark and a symbol of its financial and cultural prosperity. It remains to this day one of the oldest indoor theatres of modern times as well as an architectural jewel of Siros. 



It is made of white marble and limestone and has two floors. It also has many beautiful wall paintings and wooden tiers. This theatre was the first opera house in Greece. During W.W. II the theatre suffered damages and was used as a movie house. Reconstruction work began in the 1980s and the theatre was finally reopened in July 2000. The first opera performance in the Apollo after a hundred years of no opera performances was Rossini's II barbiere di Siviglia, produced by the Festival of the Aegean, which is celebrated at the Apollo Municipal Theatre annually.



No comments:

Post a Comment