Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Mosaic floor of an early Christian Basilica, Delphi

The mosaic floor of an early Christian basilica, found in the archaeological site of Delphi, is from the 5th-6th AD. It was brought to light by chance in 1959, during digging for the foundations of a building in the modern town of Delphi. 




The mosaic depicts numerous animals, including deer, eagles, peacocks, fish, octopus, sea creatures, birds and many more, while the male figures show fishermen and farmers. This monument, beyond the boundaries of the ancient sanctuary, sheds light on the history and topography of the town of Delphi during the Byzantine period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment