Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Celtic Prayers


It is a joy and a blessing to be able to pray. It puts us in touch and in communion not only with reality but also with God. Living far from God results in us living a lie, since he is The Truth. It opens our eyes, ears and hearts to the love and strength that He offers us. Living far from God, we thus starve our spirit. During our modern, capitalist, globalised and digital epoch, many try to fill their lives with things and ideas that are earthly and secular; nevertheless we forget that mankind was created not for the now and for this world but for eternity. St. Augustine explains, “Lord, our hearts are restless until they rest in you”.
Celtic Christianity has a rich tradition in prayers. Many of us do not know these very beautiful and interesting prayers; however it is good to know these prayers in order to understand Christianity within the Celtic countries.


Here are some examples of Celtic Prayers:

1.
I arise to life today
I arise to light and love.
I arise to life today
Through the love of God above.
I arise to life today
In the power of the Creator adored.
I arise to life today
Through Christ, our risen Lord.
I arise to life today
With energy for each hour.
I arise to life today
In the Holy Spirit’s power.
Christ, risen in glory,
Scatter the darkness from our path.
Christ, risen in glory,
Lift the heaviness from our hearts.
Christ, risen in glory,
Dispel the troubles from our minds.
Christ, risen in glory,
Take the weariness from your world,
And we will serve you in love,
In joy and light and peace. Alleluia. Amen. 

2.
Risen Christ, come. Raise the fallen, strengthen the weak, support the weary. Give peace to the troubled, comfort to the anxious. Uplift all who are down, give wholeness and healing. Be with us now and forever. Risen Christ, come, now and forever.

3.
Light of the world, bless all who are in darkness, shine upon us in love. Be with the despairing. Support the depressed. Comfort the suicidal. Give us your hope, give us your joy, give us your peace. Lighten our darkness today and evermore.

4.
The Spirit of God is upon you. The Spirit of God strengthen you. The Spirit of God guide you. The Spirit of God protect you. The Spirit of God enlighten you. The Spirit of God enlighten you. The Spirit of God fill you today and evermore, today and evermore. God of Peace relax the tensions of my body...Still the anxieties of my mind...Calm the storms of my heart...Give me courage to wait...Let peace flow in me, through me, from me, the deep deep peace of God.

5.
God is with you when the way is dark and life seems cold. God is with you when the body is weak and you feel old. God is with you when doubts arise and fears descend. God is with you forever, my friend.

6.
As you love each other, grow in the love of God. As you give yourselves to each other, God gives himself to you. As you share your lives together, God shares his life with you. As you grow in awareness of each other, grow in awareness of God. Let his love encircle your love. Let his life fill your lives. Let him bind you as one together and one with him.

7.
With the weary and the wounded, Christ of the cross, we come to you, for you alone can make us whole. With the fragmented and the fractured, Christ of the cross, we come to you, for you alone can make us whole. With the stressed and the shattered, Christ of the cross, we come to you, for you alone can make us whole. With the broken-hearted and broken-spirited, Christ of the cross, we come to you, for you alone can make us whole. With broken relationships and broken hopes, Christ of the cross, we come to you, for you alone can make us whole. With broken promises and broken dreams, Christ of the cross, we come to you, for you alone can make us whole. 
Lord, you give yourself for me; may I give myself to you. You give me life, you give me love, you give me yourself; may I give my life, my love, myself to you. In the power of your cross, deliver me from all evil and lead me into life and peace, O Christ, who died and rose for us and lives forever and ever. Amen.

8.
Grant to me, O Lord, an eye of vision, a sensitive mind, a gentle heart, and make me kind.
Grant to me, O Lord, a discerning taste, a life of love, an awareness of you and hope from above.

Prayers were taken from: Adam, David, “Celtic Prayers”, (Tim Tiley Ltd., Bristol, 2006).

No comments:

Post a Comment