Sunday, November 25, 2012

City Cross, Winchester

The earliest reference to the City Cross, located in the centre of Winchester, is in the early 14th century, when the tenant of this building was known as Walter at the Cross. Known locally as the Butter Cross, the structure was a focal point for civic ceremonies in the later Middle Ages, when it was flanked by taverns called Hevene and Helle. The upper parts of the cross were rebuilt in 1865 by the architect Gilbert Scott. 



No comments:

Post a Comment