Saturday, February 2, 2013

St. Symeon the New Theologian’s Prayer


St. Symeon the New Theologian, in his First Practical and Theological Prayer, he describes how we should pray fervently to God every day and night in order to stay away from hellish evils. The prayer is as follows:


God and Lord of all things, who have power over all life and each soul, you alone can heal me. Listen to the prayer of a wretched man. By the presence of your all-holy Spirit bring death to the serpent coiled in my heart and make it disappear. I am poor and naked, devoid of any virtue, but make me worthy to fall in tears at the feet of my holy father, and make his holy soul bend to compassion and pity for me. Lord, give me that lowliness in my heart and my thoughts that is right for a sinner who has resolved to repent. Never finally abandon a soul that has once surrendered to you, confessed its faith in you, and chosen and prized you before the whole world. For you know, Lord, that I wish to be saved in spite of all the evil habits that still fetter me. For you, Master, all things are possible which are impossible to men. 

No comments:

Post a Comment