Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector


Today the Triodion begins, introducing us into the period before Lent. A built up is apparent, leading all of the faithful and the life of the Church towards the Passion and Resurrection of Christ. The first Sunday is dedicated to the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector, emphasising the fact that we should be humble in front of God. Lying in His presence and judging others will do us no good in this life or the next and during the final judgement. God sees who truly prays, who is truly humble and who truly repents. The parable is as follows, given to us from Luke’s Bible (19: 10-14),


“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed tis with himself. ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men – extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess’. And the tax collector standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breasts , saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment