Sunday, May 19, 2013

Christchurch Greyfriars, London


Christchurch Greyfriars, in the centre of London, was bombed in World War II and the rose garden beds sit where the original pews would have been. Currently, clematis and climbing roses weave their way up 10 tall wooden towers which represent the pillars that once held the roof.




The garden covers the burial grounds on the site of the former nave of Christchurch Greyfriars, which were takeover by the Corporation of London in 1931. The Rose garden was laid out in 1989 and is designed to match the floor plan of the former Wren Church. The central paved aisle is flanked on either side by box-hedged beds which represent the original position of the pews. The structures which support climbing roses and clematis are copies of the wooden surrounds which decorated the original stone pillars. 



No comments:

Post a Comment