Saturday, July 5, 2014

Saint Alban Tower

Saint Alban tower is the only part of Saint Alban Wood Street church which remains to the present day. The church was built in 1682-85 by Sir Christopher Wren, as a replacement for an Inigo Jones church that was destroyed in the Great Fire of London.



The church was almost completely destroyed in an air raid in 1940. The ruins of the church were finally demolished in 1955, leaving just the tower standing. Currently, the tower is private property and is not open to the public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment