Sunday, July 20, 2014

Town Hall/San Giacomo Theatre, Corfu

The first theatre in Greece was found in Corfu and was named “Nobile Teatro di San Giacomo” as it was situated at the square next to the Catholic Cathedral San Giacomo. Today the building once accommodating the theatre serves as the Town Hall of Corfu. The construction of the building started in 1663 and initially was intended to be used as a place where nobles could arrange their meetings and entertaining events. In 1720 it was transformed into a Theatre which was functioning in accordance with European specifications. A lot of legendary operas and plays were staged here.





The building of the theatre designed by an unknown architect and constructed from carved Siniotic stone with lavish decorations and baroque sculptures was seriously damaged in 1943, during World War II. Unfortunately, many precious paintings and other items of art were destroyed. Only the main stage curtain was saved and today it is found in the new Municipal Theatre of Corfu.

No comments:

Post a Comment