Sunday, September 21, 2014

Vlaherna Monastery, Corfu

It is probably the most well-known landmark in Corfu, The Vlacherena monastery was founded many centuries ago on a little rocky island close to the southern tip of the Kanoni peninsula. It was a women’s monastery and according to the marble plaque above the white traditional campanile, the present chapel was built in 1685. The oldest still existing funeral gravestone dates from 1758. In 1799, when Corfu was under the rule of democratic France, it was mentioned that the church belonged to the family of the famous Greek composer N.C. Mantzaros. During the 19th century, the monastery had started to decline.





No comments:

Post a Comment