Sunday, December 28, 2014

St. Anthony and St. Andrew Orthodox Church, Corfu

The Orthodox Church of Saint Anthony and Saint Andrew is located in the Old Town of Corfu. The Church was rebuilt in 1753 in a place of an older Church, which possibly was first built in the 15th century. Historically it is identified with the church in which the Emperor Ioannis Palaiologo visited for the Divine Liturgy, when passing through Corfu as an intermediary stop, during his journey towards Florence in 1439, in order to resolve the significant issue of church union between the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church.


No comments:

Post a Comment