Patra is the city where St Andrew was martyred. However, it is also the place where they venerate him greatly. There are two Churches in the centre of Patras, the new and the old Church. The old one was built between 1836 and 1843 at the place where St Andrew was martyred.
In front of the Iconostasis is the marble Tomb of Christ’s Apostle. However, in the mid- 4th century, Emperor Constantine transferred the Saint’s Relics to the Church of the Apostles in Constantinople. When the Franks invaded the Byzantine capital, the relics where transferred to Italy. Nevertheless, on the 26th September 1964, the relics where moved back to the city of Patra with the help of Pope Paul, after the negotiations that took place between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church of Greece.