Sunday, January 11, 2015

Orthodox Church of St. John the Baptist, St. Paraskevi and St. Dionysius of Zante – Corfu

The historic Orthodox Church of St. John the Baptist, St. Paraskevi and St. Dionysius of Zante, is situated in the heart of Corfu town and was built in the 15th century (1480) and is a four sided cubic church with a simple exterior without shutters in the windows, a bell tower and a wooden tiled roof set in stages. It was one of the first Cathedral Churches of the Head priests and belongs to the one-aisle royal church style like the other churches in Corfu.




Its interior has paintings from some of the famous hagiographers of the Eptanesian School of Painting. The ceiling or ‘ourania’ and pulpit were painted in 1773 by Sp. Sperantzas. The marble icon screen is decorated with eminent works of Eptanesian Schools of Painting of Georgios Chrysoloras, Tzenos and Emmanouel Bouniali-Tzanne.



No comments:

Post a Comment