Sunday, February 15, 2015

St Jacob’s Church, Stockholm

St Jacob’s Church is a newly renovated red church, overlooking Kungstradgarden, very close to the Royal Palace. This Church building was commissioned in 1588 by King Johan III. The project was abandoned four years later with the death of Johan; however, it was resumed in 1630 and finally completed in 1643.




The Church is named after the patron Saint of pilgrims, who is depicted in the sandstone sculpture above the southern entrance carrying a walking staff. Also a beautiful Orthodox icon of the Saint is to be found in the Church. The Church underwent several interior renovations in the 19th century. An interesting fact, especially for the English speaking faithful is the fact that Sunday services are held in English at 6pm, courtesy of the International Church in Stockholm.  




No comments:

Post a Comment