Sunday, March 22, 2015

St Nicholas Church Lesser Town, Prague

One of the most impressive churches in Prague is undoubtedly St Nicholas Church Lesser Town, located in the Old Town, at the centre of the Lesser Town Square. This is the largest of Prague’s churches founded by the Jesuits. Construction on this church building began in 1732, on the site of a former parish church, the records for which date back to 1283.







From 1870 to 1914, St Nicholas also housed the Russian Orthodox congregation. Later it was in use as a warehouse and it even housed a garrison. Today the church is owned and managed by the Hussite Church. Great organ classical music concerts are given almost every day in St Nicholas. Interestingly enough, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played the church’s organ during his stay in Prague. 







No comments:

Post a Comment