Wednesday, August 19, 2015

St John the Evangelist, Notting Hill

St John the Evangelist Anglican Church, Notting Hill (London), was designed in the Early English Style. The foundation stone was laid on 8th January 1844. The Bishop of London Dr Charles Blomfield consecrated the church on 29th January 1845. When it was built, the area was not greatly built, therefore, it stood out. In an indication of the speed of development of the area, St John the Evangelist was the first of 19 new parish churches built in Kensington during Sinclair’s incumbency (1842-1875). St John’s was built as a witness to the Christian faith at the heart of the community, and present and future plans aim to enhance that role.




St John’s is an Ecumenical Church and Parish. This is also due to The Rev'd Canon Dr William Taylor. William is Vicar of the Parish and is committed to Parochial Ministry responsibilities, especially the training of clergy. In addition to his Parish responsibilities, he is the Ecumenical Adviser for the Kensington Episcopal Area, and Chairman of the Anglican and Eastern Churches Association (AECA) for the Church of England.



Additionally, St John's is home to the Filipino Chaplaincy. This chaplaincy is ecumenical, and serves Filipinos from across London. There is a Eucharist every Sunday in Tagalog, the national language of the Philippines, as well as a varied programme of social activities. The chaplaincy also offers informal socio-pastoral advice on the many issues facing Filipinos in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment