Sunday, September 13, 2015

Pammakaristos Church, Constantinople

The Orthodox Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary Pammakaristos was rebuilt on an earlier foundation, after the end of the Latin presence in the city (1261). According to the historical sources, the Church was built by the protostrator Michael Glabas Tarchainotes, nephew of the Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII Palaeologos between the years 1292-1294. Glabas was buried in a chapel of the Church, which was built in his memory in the year 1315 by his wife Maria. The funeral chapel, dedicated to Christ, contains the tombs of both Michael and Maria. After the Ottoman invasion of the City, the Church was used as a nunnery and it became the Patriarchal Church of the Ecumenical Patriarchate from 1455 until 1587, when it was eventually converted into a mosque.




During the Ottoman period, in the sultanate of Murad III (1574-1595), it took the name Fethiye after its transformation into a building of Islamic worship. The south chapel represents a cross-shaped plan with a dome. The external facades show typical architectural features of the Late Byzantine period. The dome and walls of the parekklesion are covered with mosaics, which date to the 14th century AD. 



No comments:

Post a Comment