Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Lighthouse of St Theodori, Kefalonia

The lighthouse of St Theodori near the capital city of Kefalonia, Argostoli, lies on a man-made peninsula. This building, with the 20 columns, has a rather simple and Doric architectural style. This lighthouse was originally built in 1828 by the British administrator Charles Napier, who ruled the island during that time. When in 1863 Kefalonia became part of the Hellenic State, the lighthouse was included in the lighthouse network of Greece.




Unfortunately, during the devastating 1953 earthquake that hit Kefalonia and the neighbouring Ionian islands, the lighthouse was destroyed. Nevertheless, it was rebuilt in 1960 to its original architectural design. Today the lighthouse of St Theodori is a romantic destination, especially at night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment