Friday, April 1, 2016

Spotless, undefiled, incorrupt, immaculate, pure Virgin, Bride of God and Lady...



Prayer to The Most Holy Mother of God
by Paul, monk of the Monastery of Evergetis.

Spotless, undefiled, incorrupt, immaculate, pure Virgin, Bride of God and Lady, who by your marvellous conceiving united God the Word with mankind and joined our rejected human nature to the heavenly realm; the only hope of the hopeless, help of the attacked, ready assistance of those who flee to you, and refuge of all Christians; do not turn in loathing from me, an accursed sinner, who have made myself utterly worthless through shameful thoughts and words and deeds, and through the sloth of the pleasures of life have become a slave to my own will. But as Mother of God who loves mankind have compassion on me, a sinner and a prodigal, in your love for mankind, and accept the prayer I offer you from polluted lips. And using your Mother's boldness, implore your Son, our Master and Lord, that He open to me also the compassionate heart of his goodness, and disregarding my countless offences turn me back to repentance, and make me a tried worker of his commandments. And, as you are full of mercy, compassion and loving-kindness, be ever near me: in this present life a fervent helper and protector, shielding me from the enemy's assaults and guiding me to salvation, and at the moment of my departure watching over my wretched soul and driving far from her the dark forms of evil demons; but on the dread day of judgement, delivering me from eternal punishment and making me heir to the ineffable glory of your Son and our God. All this may I obtain, my Lady, most holy Mother of God, through your mediation and assistance; through the grace and love for mankind of your only-begotten Son, our Lord and God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. To whom are due all glory, honour and worship, with his Father who is without beginning and his all-holy, good and life-giving Spirit, now and for ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment