Sunday, July 31, 2016

Prayer before Holy Communion

The hymns of the Orthodox Church are rich in theology and dogma, whereby the truths of the Church are given to the faithful who are all together praying during the Divine Liturgy. An example of this reality is of course the Prayer before Holy Communion, where we see the theology of what the bread and wine is, changing to the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Why do we remember this act of the Last Supper? This we find in the last sentence of the hymn: for the remission of sins and eternal life:






I believe, Lord, and I confess, that You are truly the Christ, the Son of the living God, who came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the first. Moreover, I believe that this is your immaculate body, and that this is Your precious Blood. Wherefore, I pray to You: have mercy on me and forgive me my transgressions, both voluntary and involuntary, in word and in deed, in knowledge and in ignorance; and make me worthy to partake of Your immaculate Mysteries without condemnation, for the remission of sins and eternal life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment